Administering and Deploying System Center Configuration Manager 2012
In this class, you will develop master-level skills in configuring, managing, planning, and deploying a System Center Configuration Manager infrastructure.
Develop master-level skills in configuring, managing, planning, and deploying a System Center Configuration Manager infrastructure. You’ll learn key administration tactics and how best to design and migrate your site hierarchy. A step beyond the usual training experience, you’ll share in real-world best practices and administration gotchas that go far beyond the courseware.
This course is intended for:
- SMS and/or Configuration Manager administrators who are responsible for configuring and managing one or more System Center Configuration Manager sites and all supporting systems.
- Experienced Windows System Engineers who will administer a System Center Configuration Manager infrastructure.
Candidates should have two to five years of supporting multiple desktop and server computers running the Windows Server operating system.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Understand the components of System Center 2012 Configuration Manager
- Discover and organize resources
- Deploy and manage the ConfigMgr client
- Manage inventory and software metering
- Query and report data
- Deploy and manage software deployments with packages, programs, and applications
- Deploy and manage software updates
- Implement System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection
- Deploy operating systems using ConfigMgr 2012
- Manage device compliance settings
- Manage mobile devices
- Configure Wake On LAN, power management, and remote control
- Recognize the ConfigMgr 2012 infrastructure and plan for deployment scenarios
- Plan and deploy a multiple-site hierarchy including the central administration site, primary sites, and secondary sites
- Plan and configure administrative roles
- Understand replication and data types, and monitor the replication of data throughout a hierarchy
- Perform maintenance tasks and monitor site systems
- Perform migration of objects from ConfigMgr 2007 to 2012
Module 1: Overview of System Center 2012 Configuration Manager
This module describes the System Center 2012 Configuration Manager feature set and explains how to manage sites by using the System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Console.
- Introduction to System Center 2012 Configuration Manager
- Overview of the System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Architecture
- Overview of the Configuration Manager Console
- Tools for Monitoring and Troubleshooting a Configuration Manager Site
Module 2: Discovering and Organizing Resources
This module explains how to configure discovery methods, configure boundaries and boundary groups, manage user and device collections, and implement role-based security.
- Configuring Resource Discovery
- Configuring Boundaries and Boundary Groups
- Configuring User and Device Collections
- Configuring Role-Based Administration
Module 3: Managing the Configuration Manager Client
This module explains how to configure client deployment methods, configure client settings, and monitor client status.
- Overview of the Configuration Manager Client
- Deploying the Configuration Manager Client
- Managing Client Settings
- Configuring and Monitoring Client Status
Module 4: Managing Inventory and Software Metering
This module explains how to configure and manage hardware and software inventory, monitor inventory data flow, and use Asset Intelligence and software metering.
- Overview of Inventory Collection
- Configuring Hardware Inventory
- Configuring Software Inventory
- Managing Inventory Collection
- Configuring Asset Intelligence
- Configuring Software Metering
Module 5: Querying and Reporting Data
This module explains how to create queries and run reports by using SQL Server Reporting Services.
- Introduction to Queries
- Managing Queries
- Configuring SQL Server Reporting Services
Module 6: Managing Software Deployments by Using Packages and Programs
This module explains how to create and deploy packages and programs.
- Configuring Software Distribution
- Configuring Packages and Programs
- Distributing Content to Distribution Points
- Deploying Programs to Configuration Manager Clients
Module 7: Creating and Deploying Applications
This module explains how to create and deploy applications by using the System Center 2012 Configuration Manager application model.
- Overview of Application Management
- Creating Applications
- Deploying Applications
- Configuring the Application Catalog
Module 8: Managing Application Deployment
This module explains how to configure application deployment requirements, application supersedence, application uninstallation, and multiple deployment types.
- Configuring Requirements and Dependencies for Deployment Types
- Configuring Multiple Deployment Types and User Device Affinity
- Managing Applications
Module 9: Deploying and Managing Software Updates
This module explains how to deploy and manage software updates.
- Overview of Software Updates
- Preparing the Configuration Manager Site for Software Updates
- Managing Software Updates
- Configuring Automatic Deployment Rules
- Monitoring and Troubleshooting Software Updates
Module 10: Implementing Endpoint Protection in Configuration Manager 2012
This module explains how to integrate and implement System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection with System Center 2012 Configuration Manager.
- Overview of Endpoint Protection in Configuration Manager
- Configuring and Monitoring Endpoint Protection Policies
Module 11: Managing Operating System Deployment
This module explains how to deploy operating systems by using the System Center 2012 Configuration Manager infrastructure.
- Overview of Operating System Deployment
- Preparing the Site for Operating System Deployment
- Capturing an Operating System Image
- Deploying an Operating System
Module 12: Managing Compliance Settings
This module explains how to manage configuration items and baselines to assess and remediate the compliance of settings on devices.
- Introduction to Compliance Settings
- Configuring Compliance Settings
- Viewing Compliance Results
Module 13: Managing Mobile Devices
This module explains how to configure the mobile device management settings.
- Configuring Mobile Device Management
- Configuring a Public Key Infrastructure
- Depth Management of Mobile Devices
- Deploying Applications to Mobile Devices
Module 14: Configuring Wake On LAN, Power Management, and Remote Control
This module explains how to configure Wake On LAN, Power Management policies, and Remote Control.
- Configuring Wake On LAN
- Overview of Out of Band Management
- Configuring Power Management Settings
- Configuring Remote Control