This course discusses system architecture with emphasis on:
- Understanding the implications on system performance
- Methods for testing the effects of performance adjustments
- Open source benchmarking utilities
- Methods for analyzing system and networking performance
- Tuning configurations for specific application loads
This course can also help you prepare for the Red Hat Certificate of Expertise in Performance Tuning exam (EX442).
- Introduction to performance tuning
- Understand the basic principles of performance tuning and analysis.
- Collecting, graphing, and interpreting data
- Gain proficiency using basic analysis tools and evaluating data.
- General tuning
- Learn basic tuning theory and mechanisms used to tune the system.
- Limiting resource usage
- Hardware profiling
- Understand and analyze hardware.
- Software profiling
- Analyze CPU and memory performance of applications.
- Small file tuning
- Tune a server for a workload involving frequent reads and writes of small files.
- Large memory workload tuning
- Understand memory management and tuning.
- Tuning for a CPU-intensive workload
- Understand tuning for CPU-bound applications.
- File server tuning
- Understand storage and network tuning in the context of a file server application.
- Database server tuning
- Tune memory and network performance using a database application as an example.
- Power usage tuning
- Tune systems with power consumption in mind.
- Virtualization tuning
- Tune 'host' and 'guest' for efficient virtualization.
This is course is intended for Senior Linux system administrators responsible for maximizing resource utilization through performance tuning.
Before attending this course, students should be RHCE Certification or equivalent experience.
What You Will Learn
After completing this course, students will learn:
- Tuning for use-case scenarios (for example, HPC, large memory, database, and file server)
- Applying tuning profiles with tuned
- Tuning virtual machines (primarily guest, but host is discussed)
- Tuning memory and caches
- Tuning CPU and memory utilization using cgroups (integrated in systemd)
- Gathering performance metrics and other data for tuning purposes