In previous versions of System Center Virtual Machine Manager an administrator had the ability to convert a physical computer running Windows Server 2008 and above to a virtual machine. In SC VMM R2 this ability has been removed.
An alternative is to download and use Disk2vhd from Sysinternals.. Disk2vhd is available for download as part of the Sysinternals suite at the following link: Windows Sysinternals Suite. This tool will allow you to convert Windows XP SP2 (x86 and x64) physical computers to virtual machines.
Another alternative is to use Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter (MS VMC)3.0. MSVMC 3.0 is available for download at the following link: Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter 3.0. Version 3.0 was made available for download on 12/2/2014.
- System requirements to install SCVMC 3.0
- Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2012, or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 operating systems
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 4 if you install MVMC on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 if you install MVMC on Windows Server 2012 or Windows 8. Note Although MVMC installs on all of these versions, using the Windows PowerShell cmdlets that are released as part of MVMC requires Windows PowerShell Runtime 3.0, and the cmdlets function only on Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows 8.1, or Windows 8. Install Feature Bits Compact server
- Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 1
For a complete listing of the capabilities of MCSMC 3.0 check out the following link: Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter 3.0 is now available for download.
Until next time, Ride Safe.